Parker Kittiwakes patent Cold Corrosion Test Kit is a quick, simple to use chemical test that provides an accurate measure of the parts per million (PPM) value of Fe2+ and Fe3+ compounds in used scrape down oil. Rather than simply giving a figure for the total iron (including metallic compounds), which other tests provide, knowing the specific PPM of corroded iron allows informed decisions to made in adjustments to feed rates and the Base Number (BN) of the oil used. The quick test (<5 minutes per cylinder) allow rapid analysis of the whole engine. No long waiting periods are required to obtain accurate measurements. Coupled with tests to measure the metallic content (such as Parker Kittiwakes LinerSCAN or Analex Alert), the cause of high levels of iron can accurately be determined. High Iron levels caused by scuffing incidents or Catalytic Fines in bunker fuels can be isolated from cold corrosion issues. Conversely, corrosion caused by sulphuric acid corrosion of the liners can be isolated from other wear mechanisms in the cylinder chamber.
Major OEM's recommend a maximum cold corrosion figure of 200PPM. Ideally this should be kept below 100PPM within the engine to maintain low wear levels.
Used in conjunction with other onboard testing recommended by engine OEM's, such as regular residual Base Number BN testing, an accurate picture of the operating conditions can be quickly determined and the correct course of corrective actions implemented. Parker Kittiwakes BN test kits and metallic wear debris meters make the perfect companion to the Cold Corrosion Test Kit.
• Excellent correlation between field measurements and lab Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) results (see graph)
• Monitors products of corrosion that cannot be detected magnetically
• Provides early warning that cold corrosion is underway
• Gives a running commentary on internal corrosion as the operator adjusts the cylinder liner jacket temperature or oil feed rate
• When used in conjunction with the Parker Kittiwake LinerSCAN, it is possible to monitor abrasive and corrosive wear independently
• Each test is simple, cost effective and quick (<5 minutes) to complete
0 - 800 PPM (Accuracy +/- 40 PPM)
Life (# cycles)
Minimum Ambient Temperature (C)
Minimum Ambient Temperature (F)
Maximum Ambient Temperature (C)
Maximum Ambient Temperature (F)